We are thrilled to announce that Pearl S. Buck International’s buildings and facilities, including the Pearl S. Buck House National Historic Landmark, International Gift Shop, Cultural Center, Awards Room, and Welcome Center will reopen to the public on Monday, August 3, 2020 after almost five months of closure due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
With the health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and staff a top priority, Pearl S. Buck International has implemented precautions and protocols based on CDC, state, and local government and health agency guidelines. While visitors to the property can expect the same thought-provoking and educational experience on tours of Pearl Buck’s house or in our awards room and the same quality of service in the gift shop and when interacting with volunteers and staff, COVID-19 has forced all businesses and organizations, including Pearl S. Buck International, to adapt to a “new normal.” Here are just some of the new policies you can expect next time you visit:
- Hand sanitizer is available in multiple places in all the buildings on our grounds for staff, volunteers, and visitors to use frequently
- Bathrooms and high-touch surfaces such as door handles, countertops, and light switches are being regularly and frequently cleaned and disinfected
- Health self-assessments and temperature checks are required for all staff and visitors upon entering the facility.
- All staff and visitors are required to wear a face mask and to social distance while on the premises.
- There is increased signage around the buildings on health and safety measures such as social distancing reminders and proper hand-washing protocol
- There will be capacity limits for house tours and in all indoor spaces (Cultural Center, International Gift Shop, Awards Room) according to state and local health and safety guidelines
- For the time being, only the Taking Action tour focusing on Pearl S. Buck’s social justice activism and advocacy legacy will be offered; please see the website for tour times and details.
Pearl S. Buck International looks forward to reopening our doors and inviting you, your family, and your friends back to a safe, comfortable, and welcoming environment.
President and CEO